If you’ve read my articles on The Career Chronicles, or follow me on Twitter and Facebook, you’ve probably read about my involvement in the National Association of Professional Women (NAPW) before. NAPW is an exclusive network for professional women to interact, exchange ideas, educate, and empower.
The theme of this year’s conference was “Ignite Your Network” – and it did not disappoint! The day began with an introduction from our host and NAPW National Spokesperson Star Jones. During her talk, Star spoke about what she calls the “Seven Steps to Success.” I liked them so much that I wanted to share them with all of you:
1. Investigate: What do you want to achieve? Do your research and figure out how to get there.
2. Initiate: How do you plan to change? Do you need to bring someone into your life to get there?
3. Insight: It’s time for some self-examination. If something’s failed in the past, ask yourself, ‘Why?’
4. Intuition: We all know that ‘uh-oh’ feeling that tells you not to do something. It comes in a flash – don’t disregard it.
5. Intention (my personal favorite): Focus your mind on the results you want to have. Your attention will send you in the direction that determines your destination.
6. Inspiration: What brings you joy? Is it working with children, meditation, or perhaps giving back to the community? Find out what you love to do and figure out how to incorporate it into your goals.
7. Innovation: It’s time to break out and do something you’ve never done before. Take a risk; think outside the box.
Star set the tone for the conference with these seven steps. The day continued with conversations from world-renowned keynote speakers, Adrianna Huffington and Martha Stewart, insightful panel discussions, and interactive workshops. The event not only inspired and motivated me, it gave me an opportunity to practice my networking skills.
I urge all of you to find a professional association (or two) that aligns with your career aspirations and start networking – you never know who you will meet, what you will learn, or how one simple meeting could change your career path.
Amanda Augustine is the Job Search Expert for TheLadders, the online job-matching service for career-driven professionals. She is a Certified Professional Career Coach (CPCC) and Certified Professional Resume Writer (CPRW) who provides job search and career guidance for professionals looking to make their next career move. Have a question for Amanda? Submit your question here for a chance to have it answered in her weekly column, and be sure to follow @JobSearchAmanda on Twitter and “Like” her on Facebook for up-to-the-minute job-search advice.