Motivation. It's the key driver for taking an action. What motivates a person to change careers? What motivates a hiring manager to select one job candidate over another? We care deeply about UX research – we do it more than just about any startup you will ever work for. If finding the underlying drivers for customers' decision making motivates you, then listen up.
As a Lead UX Designer here you will lead efforts to create, concept and design new ways for our community of jobseekers and recruiters to interact in meaningful and engaging ways.
We work quickly, nimbly, and collaboratively. We are an AgileUX team, which means that you will not be designing high fidelity deliverables. You thrive concepting with a team, using sketches and wireframes as conversation starters to explore possible solutions. You must bring your top-notch interaction design, information architecture, and user research skills as well your opinion. Most importantly, bring your passion.
- Develop a deep, empathetic understanding of our customers
- Create iterative, lightweight prototypes to concept solutions
- Lead cross-functional teams to solve business problems
- Design elegant, efficient and sophisticated solutions
- Prototype, Usability Test, and then Prototype some more (we do testing weekly)
- Be able to defend your design decisions with well-structured arguments
- Thrive in an environment of constant change
- 10+ years experience as an information architect, interaction designer, and user experience designer
- Thorough understanding of design principles
- No fear of speaking with customers (we do that a lot)
- Usability testing – you’ve done it, you love it, you want more of it
- Love of data. We have tons of it. Use it wisely.
- Proof (we'll ask you to demo it) of taking an idea from concept to implementation.
- Be able to speak to your work clearly and succinctly (we value brevity)
**Note: This is not a graphic design role nor a front-end coding role but should you bring those skills along with solid IA/IxD chops, that's just more of you to love.**
Email me to apply (email@example.com)
Will Evans is Manager, Experience Design for TheLadders in New York City with 15 years industry experience in interaction design, information architecture, and user experience strategy. His experiences include Director UX for social network analytics and terrorism risk modeling at AIR Worldwide, UX Architect for Gather.com, and UX Architect for travel search engine Kayak.com.